Thursday, October 12, 2017

There's no place like home

I wish I was still blogging from the beach, but I'm sad to report we are home.  Actually, we returned Wednesday evening to our home.  Most of you know the feeling; there's nothing like being in your familiar space, your comfortable bed, that favorite coffee mug.  Of course, there are always those things you were "hiding" from.  Things like laundry, those things need fixing, or the bills.

As I climbed into bed last night, I thought about the concept of "home" as it applies to the life of a follower of Christ.  Home for us isn't here on earth, but with Him in heaven for all eternity.  This place where my bed lives is temporary.  It serves only for my rest so I can live out the words of Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Sometimes we use "home" at a funeral, describing that a believer in Christ as gone home.  While I completely believe that is a proper use of the word, I think we have a "home" here on earth that goes beyond walls and a roof.  We have a home in the Holy Spirit.  We have a place to rest, to recharge, to learn and be fed.  And just like vacation, we can easily be absent from Him for many reasons, none of which include Him leaving us.

So, if you find yourself far away from God, come home!  Come home through prayer, by reading His word, by repentance.  Come face those things you might be hiding from with Him instead of trying to do it on your own.  Be connected!  After all, there's no place like home.

Philip J.